Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Continuing Saga


I must admit that, and I realize this could start arguments, in my opinion Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy is the best trio ever written. Needless to say, holding that opinion, I was quite happy when Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories was published this summer. I pretty much got what I wanted. A novella from Ancelstierre, and so much more! What stands out most are the novella, a King Arthur story focusing on the Lady of the Lake, and a Choose Your Own Adventure. Yes, you read that right. I tried to read that format when I was a kid, but I found them maddening. And now I remember why. I want to know all of my options, but at the same time I don't want to have to make any decisions. I read to be entertained, yes, but there is also this great perk where I don't actually have to play a part; choose. It's only frustrating. That said, Nix's version of the format was rather hilarious. Did I mention my obsession with chronology? And my equally annoying need not to miss anything? I really hate Choose Your Own Adventures. But I still want more Ancelstierre.

No comments: