Monday, November 06, 2006

Spies in Plaid


I must say. This cover is hilarious to me. That little smirk? It says: "I'm trying very hard to be smug, but really I'm dying of laughter inside, quick take this photo before I burst! Really, these spy headphones tickle!"

Ally Carter has here created the beginning of a series. I expected something along the lines of the Calypso Chronicles by Tyne O'Connell; light, fluffy, fun but tiring - i.e. bored with the concept after two books. I really don't think that is what we have here with the Gallagher Girls. Granted, only one has been published, , but I think that I'd Tell You I Love You, But The I'd Have to Kill You sets a sequence up for some serious character arc potential.

The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. In many ways, it's exactly what it sounds like. And those girls are certainly exceptional. They are international spies in training. This is spy school, and it's been around for generations. But what happens when Cammie, with her super-secret life falls in love with a civilian? Oh yeah, and for a bit more fun? Cammie's mom is the headmistress. Mom can't find out about the boy, and the boy can't find out what's REALLY going on at the academy. It was a blast and I devoured it.

Apparently, at Carter's blog there will be a contest to decipher spy code, with the answer possibly relating to the Love You, Kill You sequel. It will be posted tomorrow, if you are into that kind of thing.

No comments: