Wednesday, June 06, 2007

It's not that it's impossible to meet your soul mate at 16...just unlikely.


Well, you knew that it was kinda pointless. It was only a matter of time before I blogged it regardless of how you voted. I blog everything I read. Eventually. As witness of how long it takes me sometimes to get to titles, this was the first 2007 title I read. Way back in January. I had scored an ARC from work (a first, though I did get another that I've already blogged). After reading many serious novels, when set free, I wanted something light and fun. I read Melissa Kantor. At the time I didn't realize that she's the author of such popular fare as Confessions of a NOT It Girl & If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?, the later which I swear I've read, but can find no evidence on this blog (I haven't looked terribly hard). Ok, now I will remember her name. I swear it.

Snappy language, and a plot that doesn't seem stale, even though it's covering very well-trod land, had me absolutely squeeing with happiness. Jennifer's just been dumped by Max, the boy she thought was her soul mate. Unfortunately, he sees her more as a friend. She mortified, embarrassed, and most importantly, completely heart broken. Trying to be helpful, her grandmother gives her Dr. Emory Emerson's book, The Breakup Bible. "The cover was pink. Shocking pink. It was so pink it seemed to throb with pinkness...I was too horrified to speak." There's NO WAY she's going near that thing... But, ya know? Sometimes you get desperate...

I smiled my way through the entire book. It was comforting and happy. Oh, and funny. Very funny. One of the strongest aspects is the role that family plays in Jennifer's life. It's a loving family. They tease each other and step on nerves and even hurt each other, but there is no question that they love each other. She always has her family to fall back on, even when the rest of her life may be all angsty. Her Nana & brother Danny are especially amusing.

Not too long ago, my friend Michelle was looking for recommendations for good chick flicks. I suggested this book instead. Also, I'm reassured that I'm not the only one who feels like vomiting when something truly heartbreaking happens. Stupid boys.

No comments: