Thursday, November 20, 2008

Remember that dreck of a film

Ella Enchanted? Remember how mad we all were (possibly still are...or is that just me?) that they took such a beautiful, magical, sweet book, gutted it, lobotomized it, and did other unsavory cruelties too horrible to mention here? Well, if you still yearn for a movie that captures the beauty of Ella Enchanted and is more true to the spirit of the novel then its eponymous film - try PENELOPE.

With Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Catherine O'Hara, Reese Witherspoon, and Peter Dinklage, you can't really go wrong, right?

I'd upload a picture or two, but my computer needs to be replaced. Desperately. It's being especially uncooperative tonight. I hope it doesn't mess too much with my interview with Emily Wing Smith that goes up tomorrow.

6 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

::gasps::
REALLY? Penelope is that good? Oh, they REALLY ruined Ella, Enchanted, it made me want to weep, especially because I rented it and was all set up with my snacks and blanket and it SUCKED.

I love anything with Wednesday Addams in it.

Anonymous said...

I liked Penelope, too. Maybe not as much as you, but I loved Penelope's room! and her clothes! So gorgeous.

Trisha

Jackie Parker said...

I had low expectations for it, and that may have helped, but gosh, I just haven't seen anything that refreshing in a long time. It was magical and fairy tale-esque and just all around made me HAPPY.

And frankly, making me happy? It's a big deal. I like to be happy.

It's worth at least a rent.

Little Willow said...

It's always nice to have a movie at least RESEMBLE the book. Sigh.

I'm glad to hear that Penelope is a good book and a good film. Every time I see the book, I think, "I should read that." You know I like (well-done) retold fairy tales (with empowered characters)!

OOH! Idea! Would you want to do a discussion of books made into movies instead of (or in addition to-slash-within) the N&N roundtable? Email me and let me know!

Erin said...

I lurved this movie!!

Camille said...

I've never heard of Penelope. Clicking over to Netflix now...