Monday, May 01, 2006

It's so pretty...


This was seriously AWESOME. Recommended by the same kid as Stetson, I had to request its purchase and wait for it to arrive. It's like Buffy meets Toy Story, minus the funny, and where the toys swear up a storm. It was beautiful and creepy and I think that I might just read it again. Dubbed an illustrated novel, the pictures are luscious and the text melds the concise qualities of the graphic novel with the depth of something much longer. Jack (from in-the-box) is called upon to fight off the demon that endangers his owner's life. Normally the idea of toys coming to life totally creeps me out, but this is Classic. (Do fight any visual comparisons of Jack to Bowie's Goblin King in Labyrinth). 13+

Best line: "Look...the only place you find fairness or evil is amongst humankind, and there you'll find only the pretense of the former and a plentitude of the latter" (p 89), said by the truly evil Plucker.

1 comment:

The Book Fiend said...

I very recently read this one myself and thought it one of the most beautifully illustrated books I've ever seen - dark, twisted and wonderful on every level.

http://undermindbooks.blogspot.com/2007/06/plucker-illustrated-novel-by-brom.html