Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's not like it's a major plot point or anything...

I don't remember where I came across this title. I distinctly remember placing the purchase request, but I don't remember why. Not that I really need a reason with a title like My Dead Girlfriend and a friendly blurb by Joss Whedon. Really, does anyone?

Eric Wight, and they are playing this as a huge selling point, was apparently the 'ghost artist' on The O.C. (ok, I'll admit it I did watch the first season on DVD. It was far more funny than I was expecting. I'm now afraid that watching subsequent seasons will just be a let-down. *). I don't really remember there being that much art, but whatever.

For a brief time last summer Finney was able to forget about his doomed future. See, "for a member of the Bleak family the true measure of success is not what is accomplished in LIFE, but in how preposterously they achieve their DEATH." But when he met Jenny at the carnival, it was instant love, and for the first time, Finney wasn't just waiting to die.

There are a lot of great lines in this, especially at the beginning as Finney tells us of the family curse. Here's one from later on: "True, everyone dies -- some from natural causes, others from falling into a wood chipper while trying to outrun a stampede of wild antelope." hee.

The artwork seems like something straight off of Cartoon Network (Dexter's Laboratory, anyone?) with a gothic twist. It's spot on. I must say, however, that I don't really buy FishBoy as being with the popular crowd, and while the title is clearly a hook, it does make for a rather lack-luster climax. It will be interesting to see how this series proceeds, although, working with my past GN history, it is doubtful that I will read any future volumes.

It's darkly delicious in a Halloween meets Valentine's kind of way...(note: both holidays are known for their connection to candy & kitsch, so read that statement as: sweet with some surprisingly self-deprecating and clever laughs) There's some swearing, so, um, know that before you hand it to a 10-year-old with strict parents.

By the way: All future pets must be gargoyles. Friendly, friendly gargoyles.


*speaking of TV, Veronica Mars is back on Tuesday!! Yay! No more stupid, objectifying 'reality' show! Not that I actually watched that smear on the the VM time slot. Woo!

2 comments:

Kimberly/lectitans said...

So glad to see a review of this by someone in addition to Joss (not that he's not enough)! Sounds like a lot of fun. I may have to make it a cafe read (where I buy something from the bookstore cafe, and read it while I eat).

Anonymous said...

My dead girlfriend sounds funny! Thanks for your reviews.

BlueRectangle Books