Monday, January 22, 2007

There's lots of Cheering!

As you may have heard already:

Printz Award:
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
Haven't read it yet, but it's been on my to do list for months... It's the first ever graphic novel to win, and I'm pretty darn excited about that.

Honors:
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green!
We do love John Green. He's posted, like last year (only better), his reaction to the news. Not to miss. Also, his vlog bit with his brother that started at the turn of the year is daily hilarity.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I really was sure this one would win. It took a long time for me to get into it, but once I was, wow. Anything that can tell me exactly what's going to happen and still force me to emotionally involve myself? Yeah. That's good writing.

Octavian Nothing by M.T. Anderson
Dude needs a real website. Still maintain that it's a great book I don't know what to do with. Will reserve final judgement until after vol. 2.

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett
(Also needs a real website) Haven't read this based on the thought that it might either make be dislike mankind. Again. Or make me feel claustrophobic. That's why I can't read David Almond or Gail Giles. Now I'll just have to try to read it anyway.

Note, please, the two Australian authors, Zusak & Hartnett. It was that way last year, too. With Zusak & Lanagan. That's it, nothing more, just a point of interest.

Newbery Award:
The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
Cute cover. Never heard of it. Which makes it the third year in a row for that. Might read it. Might not. Still haven't read Criss Cross after being so disillusioned by Kira Kira.

Honors:
Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
Love. This. Book. Can. Not. Express. How. Much. It also happens to be the book I've given away the most this year. Almost exclusively to adult women, but still. It's never actually on the shelf when there's a kid around who would appreciate it. I honestly think that Hattie Big Sky is destined to be a comfort read for generations. Like the Little House books and the Anne of Green Gables books. I was pulling for this one to win the medal, if only to ensure its space in literary history. This, I suppose, will have to do.

Penny from Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm
This has been on my radar for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's been bumped up. I've liked everything I've read by Holm.

Rules by Cynthia Lord
Mmm... the cover looks familiar... It appears to be a first novel, and I do like rubber duckies...

Note: The lack of fantasy in both lists, and the prevalence of historical fiction.

Alex Awards:
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
The Color of the Sea by John Hamamura
Eagle Blue: A Team, A Tribe, and A High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska by Michael D'Orso
Floor of the Sky by Pamela Carter Joern
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig
The World Made Straight by Ron Rash

I pay particular attention to the Alex Awards because if I have to read adult books once in awhile, I might as well read the ones designated to have particular interest to teens. I think it weeds out the overly self-important adult books (this is said with tongue in cheek. mostly.). Also, I've never read an Alex winner I haven't liked (ok, the numbers I've read are not extensive). It's also a great resource for the Adult Book Group I run at the library. Water for Elephants has been on my "Future Book" list for the group for months. I have to wait for it to come out in paperback first, though.

Geisel Medal:
Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways by Laura McGee Kvasnosky

Honors:
Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride by Kate DiCamillo, illus. by Chris Van Dusen
Move Over, Rover! by Karen Beaumont (I Like Myself! is one of my Favs), illus. by Jane Dyer
Not a Box by Antoinette Portis

Totally not my field but absolutely cool, and in its second year, the Geisel Medal awards books for the youngest of readers and is named after, who else, Dr. Seuss.

If you have a great deal of time, watch the webcast of the awards announcement. Head here for the complete list of winners and honors announced today, including the Coretta Scott King Awards, the Caldecott and the Batchelder.

Stay tuned for my ALA Midwinter Experience. I kinda went.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Love. This. Blog. !! Thanks for posting all your witticisms about the award anouncements--they are wonderful to read! P.S. will you be going to ALA this summer at all?

Jackie Parker said...

I doubt I'll be going to Annual. My library isn't big on sending us peons, and I plan to be back in Michigan for my Grandmother's 90th birthday around then, anyway. Midwinter was a fluke, and I only SORTA went.

Unknown said...

Jackie,
Sara put your blog on my favorites. It's great! How great to go to ALA. I thought Fairest would get an honor (and hoped Edward Tulane would as well)! The only book I had already that received a Newbery is Hattie Big Sky. Just moved to the top of my stack. (Read Criss Cross, by the way. It's nothing like Kira Kira, and I think you will enjoy it.)

Anonymous said...

You can't read Gail Giles?

Say it ain't so!

Gail Giles

Jackie Parker said...

*bows head in shame*

Gail,

It's not that I HAVEN'T read your books, it's just you are too darn good at what you do and your books freak me out. Just like Robert Cormier. Cass McBride is actually staring me down from atop the bookshelf now saying, "read me, read me." Eventually, I'll probably give in.

Does it at all make up for it that I give your books to kids and read your blog?