Sunday, November 19, 2006

Alice


There is something old-fashion about Alice in the Know. Before I read this book, I was sure that I hadn't read any of the Alice series. Once having started this one, I became convinced that at some point in my youth I must have read one of this series. It has been around since 1985, after all. At some point my librarian mother must have brought one home for me. It seemed so familiar.

From what I can tell, the Alice books are about a girl growing up; about character development. About an everygirl winding her way through everything. This time Alice is managing her way through the summer before her junior year. She gets a job, her brother gets shattered, a friend gets sick and Alice gets exactly what she wants, at a price.

I can see how this series is on the ALA 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books list. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is incredibly frank about everything. From periods to drugs, from race to sex. She just talks about it in plain language; frankly. It's strangely rather refreshing. It's really got to piss people off. heh.

(And have you seen the next title? Dangerously Alice! And look at that cover! Totally Ominous! What is that girl up too!)

No comments: