Saturday, February 18, 2006

Subconscious Irony


As I was leaving town, literally, on my way out, I thought: "Hey, I need an audiobook!" So I made the library my last stop where I picked up Crutcher's Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. Although well over ten years old, I hadn't managed to read it up until this trek, which, I know, is ghastly. If it makes you feel better, I will join the legions that say "Oh! I love that book!" This is literally the epitome of the teen book. It covers absolutely every dicey topic possible, religion, depression, suicide, abuse, abortion, bullies, attempted murder, sex. Any teen that reads outside of the fantasy genre will love it. What actually makes this a great book is the character development. Even the accessory characters are completely fleshed out. Adults are given significant roles, both good, bad and in between. It was really a fantastic book. Heavy topics, know the kid or 15+

No comments: