Monday, February 06, 2006

Because at this point we just expect a debacle!

Apartment Update: They called on Saturday morning, first thing. Because my mother isn't coming out with me when I move in (why would she? I'm an adult -apparently - and she has a life too) the apartment complex is mailing the lease for her to sign in front of a notary (!). If we are lucky and it arrives before I leave, I can take it with me. Otherwise, she'll have to overnight the documents to the apartments. Someone told me that this whole debacle isn't terribly unusual, but I just really don't want to believe that everyone had to go through this silliness.

My semi arrived today. There's no going back now. 85% of my stuff is now locked behind three metal rods and 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood. Getting the plywood was a super fun adventure. I went to Home Depot, because that's the first place that comes to mind when you need stuff like that. Went in and managed to find the ONE mentally deficient person employed there. Really. It went something like this: "Hi, I need two sheets of 4x8 plywood." "two by fours?" "No, I need two sheets of 4x8 plywood." "2x4's?" "No." "Follow me." And he proceeds to bring me to the one other person who can't help me, this time not for mental incompetence, but because he can't leave his counter. We wandered around to find it ourselves. If, like me, you have no concept pf spatial relationships, you would do what I did. You would find that elusive plywood, but only then would you realize that there is NO WAY two 4x8 sheets of plywood are going to fit in your mother's Vibe. And certainly not in your Camry. I called my Aunt Pam who picked me up in her truck and went with me to an entirely different 'home improvement' store where we walked in, told the fist person we saw what we needed, got pointed in the right direction, paid for what we needed, drove the truck around to the back where someone loaded the purchase into the truck. Piece of Cake.

Last night I realized that I don't have a TV. This fact really hit home after Grey's Anatomy didn't resolve. I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to watch that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the updates from the road and hopefully your apartment is waiting and ready. Good luck =)

Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who has moved more times than she cares to remember (and twice in the span of a year from Michigan to Toronto and then 8 months later clear across Canada to Saskatoon) moving always sucks...just know eventually everything will sort itself out..once the phone/cable/mail gets sorted out you'll be fine...starting a new job in a new place will make you forget the hassle of the move soon enough...just unpack a bit at a time...happy driving

jane