Every year Readergirlz asks their postergirlz to come up with our individual top ten. Not specifically just the best books published of the year, but the best girl-power books that we read this year, regardless of copyright date. Each of the postergirlz (Little Willow, Miss Erin, Alexia, Hip Writer Mama, Shelf Elf) comes up with their own list, which we then send in to the powers that be, who then work through the lists and think about whether the titles would work within their vision for featured titles. If it does, and they wish to devote a month to a title, they then see if they can get the author's participation. I spend months agonizing over it - this one was started in October.
And so, after much gnashing of teeth, here are mine!
My Top Ten for Readergirlz 2008 (in alpha order, no less!)
1. Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
2. Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught
3. Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The by E. Lockheart
4. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Allison Goodman
5. Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande
6. The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson
7. Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
8. Graceling by Kristen Cashore
9. Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands) by Meg Burden
10. Ten Cents a DanceTen Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher
Mighta made its if we hadn't picked them/the author already:
1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
2. Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
3. The President's Daughter by Ellen Emerson White
Almost made it, but were cut at the last second:
1. A la Carte by Tanita S. Davis
2. Impossible by Nancy Werlin
2. Meridian by Amber Kizer
3. The Plain Janes (Minx) & Janes in Love (Minx) by Cecil Castelucci
What would you have included in your girl-power Top Ten read in 2008? What am I missing (Hunger Games, I'm guessing you'll say...)?