Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Rgz Top Ten read in 2008

Every year Readergirlz asks their postergirlz to come up with our individual top ten. Not specifically just the best books published of the year, but the best girl-power books that we read this year, regardless of copyright date. Each of the postergirlz (Little Willow, Miss Erin, Alexia, Hip Writer Mama, Shelf Elf) comes up with their own list, which we then send in to the powers that be, who then work through the lists and think about whether the titles would work within their vision for featured titles. If it does, and they wish to devote a month to a title, they then see if they can get the author's participation. I spend months agonizing over it - this one was started in October.

And so, after much gnashing of teeth, here are mine!

My Top Ten for Readergirlz 2008 (in alpha order, no less!)

1. Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
2. Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught
3. Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The by E. Lockheart
4. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Allison Goodman
5. Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande
6. The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson
7. Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
8. Graceling by Kristen Cashore
9. Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands) by Meg Burden
10. Ten Cents a DanceTen Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher

Mighta made its if we hadn't picked them/the author already:

1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
2. Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
3. The President's Daughter by Ellen Emerson White

Almost made it, but were cut at the last second:

1. A la Carte by Tanita S. Davis
2. Impossible by Nancy Werlin
2. Meridian by Amber Kizer
3. The Plain Janes (Minx) & Janes in Love (Minx) by Cecil Castelucci

What would you have included in your girl-power Top Ten read in 2008? What am I missing (Hunger Games, I'm guessing you'll say...)?

8 comments:

Abby said...

This might be more middle-grade, but Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon & Dean Hale.

That's a great list! I loved many of your picks and there are a couple that are high up on my TBR list!

Little Willow said...

We have some overlap and some, not at all. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

I would add WAKE by Lisa McMann.

Anonymous said...

Perfect Cover and Killer Spirit by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Cheerleader spies!

Colleen said...

I'm so glad to see The Explosionist in there!

I'd add Headlong by Kathe Koja which is also pretty much my fav boarding school book ever and Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (which I read for the jillionth time this year)and Empress of the World by Sara Ryan (she is TOTALLY readergirlz material).

I actually didn't read that many "girl power" books this year which is odd...maybe I'm overcompensating. Oh - also Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell. That one is in my Jan column.

I'm glad to see you weren't buried in the snow. I've been meaning to call you - it's been INSANE up here!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I knew this was your list. ;~) Little Willow keeps the names top secret.

(Psst. We have the Plain Janes in July. Woohoo!)

Jackie Parker said...

Thanks for the extra titles everyone! I haven't read most of those!

Lorie Ann - I had no idea all that was secret! Oops! So, how'd you know this was mine?

holly cupala said...

Aha! I thought that was your list! Couldn't resist the speculation. ;)