Thursday, June 08, 2006

A GOOD Idea


Yeah, so what would YOU do if your boring parents turned out to be Supervillians and you saw them ritually sacrifice a homeless kid right in front of you? I'd high-tail it outta there. But I don't know if I'd have the guts to discover my latent superhero qualities and try to take my parents down, but that's what these seven aim to do.

Death, mayhem, destruction, hidden subtext, you know, your typical comic-book. Or not. Runaways, vol. 1. I don't really know what to say about this one. I loved it. Unequivocally. I read it while Sarah was here (I'm horribly behind with this posting thing) and she had to be here as I cackled my way through it. It's my new favorite graphic novel, and when I go to work tomorrow, I'm going to make sure we own whatever post-vol. 1 issues I can find. Age-wise it's actually not as old as that whole ritual sacrifice thing might lead you to believe. It's a minimum of blood and pretty much happens off-screen. The swearing is done in %&$^#@ symbols, so other than the whole disrespecting authority figures and advocating running away from evil people, there isn't a lot to object to. It can safely be given to 12+. You'll probably find a market even with non-comic readers.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

You know this is on the BBYA list, right? I do planning on checking this one out.

Jackie Parker said...

Am I a bad librarian if I say that I don't have the patience to look at the BBYA list? The format is weird.

Kip said...

I'm in the middle of Vol. 5 right now. These are killer good.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you were going to post on this book....